# Dr. Yamina Pressler
**SOIL SCIENTIST • EDUCATOR • ARTIST • WRITER**
## a little about me
I have a deep fascination for soils as natural wonders. I study the organisms that inhabit soils in coastal California and work towards collective soil conservation and care. Everything I do as a scientist, educator, and creative celebrates soils in an effort to increase our connection to them. **If we want to stop treating soils like dirt, we first need to develop the eyes to see them.** I invite everyone to learn how to see and experience the soils that make up the world around us.
I am an **Assistant Professor of Soil Science and Restoration Ecology** at Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo where I lead the [[Coastal Soil Horizons & Ecology Lab (C-SHEL)]]. I received a **Ph.D. in Ecology** from Colorado State University, and **B.S. in Environmental Management** from Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo. I was a **Postdoctoral Research Associate** at Texas A&M University, prior to joining the faculty at Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo in 2019.
## welcome to my shared learning space
I want my website to be more than a static CV. I am creating a living representation of my work, writing, curiosity, and learning. There's lots to explore here.
**Here are a few places you can start:**
- learn more about our research group [[Coastal Soil Horizons & Ecology Lab (C-SHEL)]]
- review the [[courses I teach]] - I share my course materials here!
- learn more about [[who I am as an artist]]
- read and listen to my [[! essay index|essays about soil]]
- take a look at my [newsletter](https://wonderofsoil.substack.com/)
- check out my resources and explainers
- [[principles of studying]]
- [[prelim exam reading lists]]
- [[how to get involved with research as an undergraduate]]
- [[how I built this website]]
- [[preparing course materials in Obsidian]]
<iframe src="https://wonderofsoil.substack.com/embed" width="480" height="320" style="border:1px solid #EEE; background:white;" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>
*All photos and artwork on this site are mine unless otherwise stated.*